Announcing a joint initiative from The Monthly and IndigenousX to mentor and publish an emerging Indigenous arts critic
The Monthly is committed to its arts coverage, and to developing a rich and diverse critical culture that is inclusive and encouraging of Indigenous voices, perspectives and knowledge. In this spirit we are proud to announce with IndigenousX a mentorship program for an emerging Indigenous arts critic. We believe that a partnership of this sort can only improve arts criticism as a whole.
The Monthly and IndigenousX are now calling for expressions of interest. Applicants must be published writers (online or in print) or journalists with a demonstrated interest in the arts. They must be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent and live in Australia.
The successful candidate:
- may work across any or all of the following art forms: theatre, film, music, television, books, dance, visual arts, fashion, architecture;
- will be commissioned on a regular schedule to write for The Monthly’s website (and on the IndigenousX website);
- will be provided with close editorial guidance and support to write arts-related essays and reviews;
- will receive writing mentorship as appropriate (arranged by IndigenousX and The Monthly);
- will be paid at The Monthly’s standard online rates upon publication, with a view to an ongoing working relationship with The Monthly and IndigenousX.
The Monthly will work together with IndigenousX to identify and support the successful candidate. The mentorship will be for six months.
Deadline for applications (including a cover letter, writing or broadcast samples + a CV): June 20
Enquiries and applications: [email protected]